bad publicity

Mon Jan 7 22:24:56 UTC 2002

In January of 2001 I set off a train of discussion among us regarding
the antiquity of the expression "There's no such thing as bad
publicity".  I then had only a very recent citation to contribute,
along with the statement that I had heard it or variants of it at one
time or another in the past, going back to the mid-1960s.  Fred Shapiro
was able to produce a version from 1950 and a passage from 1943 that
seemed to allude to it.  Others also chipped in.