Modalization

P2052 at AOL.COM P2052 at AOL.COM
Wed Jan 9 09:21:17 UTC 2002

pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU writes:

> Here's a conversational gambit: Seems to me that there are fewer potential
> funders now than a few years ago for programs that assist first-generation
> college aspirants prepare for and succeed in post-secondary education.

Interesting interpretation!  However, I have never heard or read "assist . .
. to."  I would translate the passage as follows:

Here's a conversational gambit: Seems to me that there are fewer potential
funders now than a few years ago [of] programs that assist first-generation
college aspirants [in] prepar[ing] for and succeed[ing] [at/]in
post-secondary education.

                                    {OR}

Here's a conversational gambit: Seems to me that there are fewer potential
fund[s] now than a few years ago for programs [that/to help] first-generation
college aspirants prepare for and succeed in post-secondary education.

In both cases, ("that" clause or infinitive phrase [to help] ), the word
group functions as a modifier of the noun, "programs."  However, the verb,
"assists," selects for the prepositional phrase ("assists . . . in [VERB'g]")
whereas the infinitive, "help,"  co-occurs most often with the infinitive
("help . .   . to"), but can also select for the prepositional phrase, ["help
. . . in [VERB'g],
                                           P-A-T