The Finger (1947?)

ANNE V. GILBERT avgilbert at PRODIGY.NET
Mon Jan 14 18:19:58 UTC 2002

To all:

> >"Melting pot" is a hot-metal metaphor, not a food metaphor.  <
>
> Even though this expression seems to have developed a culinary
association,
> I agree with Fred about its original meaning.  This later association
> probably  reflects  our diminishing experience of industrial processes.
> Even middle class kids would still 50 & 60 years ago be familiar with the
> images of heavy industry, through educational films. [What a lark that
was,
> when the shades would be drawn, the projector rolled in & the classroom
> darkened for some

Well, I must be about the same age, because I remember those "instructional"
movies, too.  I also remember "melting pot" describing America and
Americans(supposedly, anyway).  I just accepted the metaphof and I never
thought about where it came from.  I had no idea whatever that it was a
metaphor borrowed from heavy industry.
Anne G