Yankee

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Thu Jan 17 16:38:19 UTC 2002

Indeed I should have checked my Dutch dictionary first.  The name of the
figure is in fact Jan Kaas, which my Nederlands Koenen (M.J. Koenen-J.B.
Drewes, Verklarend Handwoordenboek der Nederlandse Taal) defines as
"verpersoonlijking van Nederland, van de Nederlander, z. John Bull"
(personification of the Netherlands, of the Dutchman, cf. John Bull).

Confusion about the pronunciation could have arisen from an earlier
spelling "ae" to indicate /a:/, still to be found in a few place and family
names.  But I doubt that English-speaking colonial Americans could have
picked up a form /jan ke:s/ directly from the pronunciation of
Dutch-speaking neighbors.

Peter Mc.

--On Wednesday, January 16, 2002 9:48 AM -0800 "Peter A. McGraw"

                            pmcgraw at linfield.edu