"loose as a goose"

Sat Jan 19 16:50:15 UTC 2002

The "on the other hand" was always my childhood folk (and not
necessarily false) etymology. Loose as a goose was first applied to
the runs. (I'm at my office without a dictionary and don't know how
to spell the D-word.) Later I heard it to mean other "looses"
(relaxed, for example), but that was not my earliest encounter.

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston
Department of Linguistics and Languages