Hora (dance, 1853)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Jan 20 00:54:49 UTC 2002

HORA

TRAVELS IN SOUTHERN RUSSIA AND THE CRIMEA;
THROUGH HUNGARY, WALLACHIA, & MOLDOVIA
DURING THE YEAR 1837
by ANATOLE DE DEMIDOFF ("Demidov" was handwritten--ed.)
John Mitchell, printer, London
1853

VOLUME I
Pg. 158:
   After dinner, Wallachian dances were executed, and we (Pg. 159--ed.) were so charmed with the severe precision and perfect _ensemble_ of the dancers, that the prince was kind enough to prolong these diversions in our favour, and to procure us copies of the airs, so full of originality and simple grace, which we here insert, and which accompany this Roman dance, _Hora Roumaniaska_, as it is called by the people of Wallachia.
(OED has 1878 for "hora"--ed.)

VOLUME II
Pg. 126:  The samowar is without gainsay, the most characteristic utensil to be found in the country.  The species of kettle which bears this name, consists of a shining copper case...
Pg. 270:  ...men on horseback, wrapped in their _bourkas_.  These are capital Circassian cloaks, perfectly _impermeables_, as they say in Paris.

BRAGA

   OED has something almost like "braga" in "braga-beaker."  My Romanian doorman read the "mammaliga" entry and smiled knowingly at "braga," so perhaps it's worth adding.
   From the same CAMPENHAUSEN'S TRAVELS (1808):

Pg. 54:
   Their usual drink is a mixture of millet-meal and water, which is left for some time to ferment till acidulated, and called braga.

THROUGH MACEDONIA TO THE ALBANIAN LAKES
by Mary Adelaide Walker
1864

Pg. 252:
   ..."ekmek-adaif" (pancakes with clotted cream inside), "baklava" (pastry floating in syrup), "mohalibe" (milk and rice-flour), "ou-halva" (a paste of flour, sugar, and butter), "yaourt," and other sweet things.

(Not quite antedates, but a nice food group--ed.)