"Collateral Damage"

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sun Jan 20 03:20:38 UTC 2002

On Fri, 18 Jan 2002, ANNE V. GILBERT wrote:

> I think "collateral damage" dates back to the Vietnam period.

It seems to me that the military usage probably derives from old legal
usage.  Below is the earliest I have found:

1839 _Edwards' Reports of Chancery Cases_ (N.Y.) III. 290 ff. (Westlaw)
Mr. Lawrence...objects, on account of collateral damage not being
allowed, i.e., furture damage from a supposed obstruction to the
navigation of Harlem river.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Public Services     YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            Yale University Press,