Jo Mazotti (1942); Ants-on-a-Log (1995); Tiramisu

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Jan 20 07:53:49 UTC 2002

JO MAZOTTI

   I spent a day going through "cookery--juvenile" looking for "ants-on-a-log" and other fanciful names.  I found "s'mores" and this instead.
   This "Jo Mazotti" (1942) adds to Johnny Marzetti/Mazetti and other names for this dish.  DARE's first citation is Fannie Farmer's BOSTON COOK BOOK (1946), where it's "Jo Mazzotti."

THE FANNIE FARMER JUNIOR COOK BOOK
by Wilma Lord Perkins
Little, Brown and Company, Boston
1942

Pg. 91:
      _Jo Mazotti_
1 1/2 pounds lean pork, ground
8 large onions, sliced
3 cans tomato soup (concentrated)
1 bunch celery, diced
1 large can mushrooms, sliced
2 green peppers, cut fine
Juice 1/2 lemon
Salt and pepper
1 pound sharp cheese, cut small
1 large package broad noodles
2 tablespoons butter
   ("Jo Mazotti" has made the reputation of an Italian restaurant.)
   Melt the butter, add the pork and onions and cook until brown.
   Add all but the noodles and simmer 15 minutes to make a rich sauce.
   Cook the noodles (page 105) while the meat is cooking.  Drain and mix with the sauce.
   Cover closely and cook slowly 1 hour on top of the stove or in a moderate oven (350 degrees F.).
   This is enough to serve 16 persons generously.

ANTS-ON-A-LOG

   Ants analog.  Not to be confused with digital ants.
   Useful, perhaps, to anyone writing a book on "peanut butter."
   I tried to concentrate on the 1940s, 1950s, and 1960s.  I looked at the juvenile cookbooks, but also any articles on "peanut butter" and "celery."  I thought I remember it in BETTER HOMES & GARDENS, but it'll take a while to check the monthly index of over 30 years.

THE PEANUT BUTTER COOKBOOK FOR KIDS
by Judy Ralph and Ray Gompf
Hyperion Books for Children, NY
1995

Pg. 14:
   _Ants on a Log_
        _and_
   _PB Flowers_

INGREDIENTS
1 medium apple
1 celery stalk4 cup peanut butter
Raisins

TIRAMISU

   OED has 1982.  I'll look more in some travel articles (for Venice, Italy).
   The earliest GOURMET magazine article I could find is September 1986, pg. 134, col. 1:

Q.  During a visit to Italy I had a heavenly dessert called _tiramisu_.  I would love to duplicate this at home and would greatly appreciate the recipe.
   ADELE H. BACKS
   MADISON, WISCONSIN
A.  Literally "pick-me-up," this dessert will go down well anytime.
      _Tiramisu_
   _(Italian Cake, Cheese, and Chocolate Dessert)_
   a 10 3/4-ounce pound cake, sliced horizontally into 6 layers and the layers cut crosswise into slices
   1/2 cup sugar
   1/2 cup Grand Marnier, or to taste
   3 ounces cream cheese, softened
   16 ounces whole-milk ricotta