"out of pocket" (= not reachable)

Donald M Lance lancedm at MISSOURI.EDU
Sun Jan 20 20:58:24 UTC 2002

For years and years I have used 'out of pocket' to refer to unavailability,
and I've never associated it with football, nor directly with pants pockets.
I've also heard it frequently from all kinds of people.  It's simply another
sense of this concatenation of words, with the pocket being metaphorical
rather than literal.
DMLance