n-word

Michael Newman mnewman at QC.EDU
Mon Jan 21 20:42:10 UTC 2002

>There's a review of Randall Kennedy's book: _Nigger: the strange career of
>a troublesome word_ at:
>
>http://salon.com/books/feature/2002/01/22/kennedy/index.html
>
>Dr M Lynne Murphy
>Lecturer in Linguistics
>Acting Director, MA in Applied Linguistics
>School of Cognitive and Computing Sciences
>University of Sussex
>Brighton BN1 9QH
>UK
>
>phone +44-(0)1273-678844
>fax   +44-(0)1273-671320

Glancing through the book, I noticed that he barely mentions the
r-less form, and then only with the briefest citation from Geneva
Smitherman. He also only has White people using it and non-racial
reference use as an insult. He needed to have hung out at some high
school for a few days before going to print, either that or bought
The Source once or twice.
--
Michael Newman
Assistant Professor of Applied Linguistics