Military Usage of "Collateral Damage"

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Thu Jan 24 16:51:07 UTC 2002

Jesse Sheidlower tells me that the earliest military citation in the OED's
files for "collateral damage" is dated 1975.  Here's an earlier one:

1961 Thomas C. Schelling in _Operations Research_ IX. 365  Measures to
locate and design our strategic forces so as to minimize collateral
damage...would not have, or would have only to a very small extent, this
'destabilizing' influence.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Public Services     YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            Yale University Press,