Cane Juice (1931); SF Restaurants

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Jan 25 00:53:15 UTC 2002

CANE JUICE:
A STORY OF SOUTHERN LOUISIANA
by James Earle Uhler
Century Co., NY
1931

   This book supposedly got its author fired from LSU...Another person by this name (his son?) wrote a bibliography of Louisiana cookbooks.  I was looking for LA food in this novel.

Pg. 35:  "Is everybody happy?" he called.
Pg. 46:  "I'd hate to get hog-lawed," (Pg. 47--ed.) he'd say.  The "hog-law" was dismissal from the university because of deficiency in studies.
Pg. 46:  He knew how to hand-shake the professors, how to "get their leg" as the expression runs.
Pg. 68:  "Have you ever tried a sazerak?" Frank asked.
Pg. 108:  "Judas' priest!  L.S.U.'s a lousy school."
Pg. 109:  "Judas' priest!"  (As in "Judas's priest"?--ed.)
Pg. 119:  ...--the "you-and-me-both" spirit--...
Pg. 192:  "...he's a flea-bitten, mangy, wall-eyed, swaybacked wallapaloosis!"  (Related to "lallapaloosa"?--ed.)
Pg. 257:  Football, bull sessions, dances, liquor, women!--it was not for him.
Pg. 273:  ...--and moochers and snowbirds?--...
Pg. 290:  Cocktails and high-balls flowed freely--and cafe brule, a mixture of coffee and whisky and spices burned in a large silver dish--and sangaree punch.
Pg. 329:  "You think I'm a Cajun red-neck, _hein_?" he snapped.

SAN FRANCISCO RESTAURANTS

   I've been going through 1980s books on San Francisco restaurants, looking for "General Tso's Chicken" in Chinatown and "tiramisu" in the Italian restaurants.
   The Jinx Morgan book on SF Chinese Restaurants (1976) resulted in a typical NYPL screwup--two books with the same call number, and the NYPL can find only the wrong book.

TWO HUNDRED GOOD RESTAURANTS:
A GUIDE TO EATING IN SAN FRANCISCO & THE BAY AREA
by Russell S. Riera and CHris Smith
Moss Publications, CA
1981
(first edition 1980)

   This book contains some food history from Robert Hendrickson's FOODS FOR LOVE (1974) that's just awful.

Pg. 22 (Tai Chi, 2031 Polk Street, near Broadway):
   _Menu Specialties_...General Tsuo's Chicken (a country-style dish.  Pieces of chicken encased in a golden crust, and served in a light, reddish sauce that looks like liquid jewels.)
Pg. 182 (The Royal Mandarin, 234 Northgate Shopping Center):
  _Menu Specialties_...General Cho Chicken (the menu says it's "Diced Chicken Breast with Special Sauce."  And the menu is very accurate--the dish's spicy sherry and ginger-scented sauce is special.)

RESTAURANTS OF SAN FRANCISCO
by Patricia Unterman and Stan Sesser
Chronicle Books, San Francisco
1984

Pg. 153 (Taiwan Restaurant):
   Another rich chicken dish is _General Tsuo chicken_, a dish from Hunan, described as "Mao Tse-Tung's hometown famous dish."

RESTAURANTS OF SAN FRANCISCO:
NEW REVIEWS FROM THE SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE
by Patricia Unerman and Stan Sesser
Chronicle Books, San Francisco
1988

Pg. 74 (E'Angelo, 2234 Chestnut Street):
   For dessert there's Stella Bakery's lovely sacripantina cake, with its delicate layers of genoise and zabaglione cream, and a house-made _tiramisu_, that generic dessert of coffee-soaked cake with mascarpone or Italian creme fraiche.  Served in a goblet here, the _tiramisu_ was a little joy.
(...)
--Patricia Unterman, June 28, 1987
Pg. 82 (Ristorante Firenze, 1421 Stockton):
   For dessert, the restaurant makes its own _tiramisu_ with layers of coffee-soaked sponge cake and mascarpone, or Italian creme fraiche.
(...)
--Patricia Unterman, September 6, 1987