Hey, Rube! Hector was a pup (1891)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Jan 28 02:49:59 UTC 2002

"SHORT SIXES"
STORIES TO BE READ WHILE THE CANDLE BURNS
by H. C. Bunner
Puck, Keppler & Schwarzmann, NY
1891

   H. C. Bunner was an editor of the humor magazine PUCK.  His novels are on microfilm in an American Fiction series.  One source said that he's noted for slang, so I'm giving him a read.  OED already cites some terms from this book of short stories, but not these phrases.
   FWIW:  Candles were sold six to a pound.

Pages 163-178 HECTOR
Pg. 170:  In conclave assembled, the Misses Pellicoe decided to name the dog Hector.
(Ah!  Probably the first "Since Hector was a pup" is to be found in the pages of PUCK!  Unfortunately, it's not online in the MOA database--ed.)

Pg. 100:  ..."if the boys was here, and I hollered 'Hey Rube!...."
(RHHDAS has 1899.  I have a song titled "Hey, Rube!"  Did I post that it's from 1893?--ed.)

Pg. 157:
   "But, my dear Mitts, where did he get the Latin and Greek?"
   "He had to learn _something_ at Yale."