"New device may have prevented tragedies"

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Mon Jan 28 20:49:27 UTC 2002

"New device may have prevented tragedies"

This is a beautiful example of  may/might confusion that produces a very
bad result. We read the headline & think, "Whew!  tragedy averted; glad to
hear it," and move on to the next item.

In the case of  "Colts Want This One? >So Don't the Pats,"at least  the
ambiguity (if not opacity) leads us to check the text to see what's meant.
A. Murie