query - laser-focused

Paul McFedries lists at MCFEDRIES.COM
Tue Jan 29 16:04:43 UTC 2002

Here's the earliest LexisNexis cite:

It's just real interesting, and it began rattling around in my head and for
some reason, the notion of a kid who by virtue of very specific
circumstances had all of those prodigious abilities kind of laser-focused
onto medicine.
--The Baltimore Sun (via The Record), July 23, 1989

(In case you're wondering, the above is Stephen Bochco talking about
creating the character of Doogie Howser.) I'm not sure if you're interested
in this, but the metaphor itself appears to be a bit older:

Throughout those years, political power in Chicago was focused like a laser
beam on Daley himself, as he held the offices of both mayor and chairman of
the Cook County Democratic Central Committee.
--Fortune, September 11, 1978

Paul
http://www.mcfedries.com/
http://www.logophilia.com/