Tamale & Mole (1552?)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Jan 31 01:59:12 UTC 2002

A HISTORY OF ANCIENT MEXICO
(1547-1577)
by Fray Bernardino de Sahagun
Translated by Fanny R. Bandelier
  from the Spanish version of Carlos Maria de Bustamante
Fisk University Press, Nashville
1932
Republished by Blaine Ethridge Books, Detroit
1971

Pg. 218:
   They also gave food to everyone present, consisting of diverse kinds of tamales and moles as explained here.(1)
1. This may be so in the original; here no further explanation is given.

Pg. 228:
   ...your tamales mouldy....

(I got that "mahimahi" thing backwards.  OED cites the first of the two selections, but dates it to 1905 rather than to 1901 or 1902...I have a really bad cold...NYC is hosting an economic summit and there's police everywhere today--ed.)