box set

Benjamin Fortson fortson at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Thu Jan 31 14:46:16 UTC 2002

Well, even in "iced donut" you're not *really* "voicing halfway through a
stop", since the main difference between voiced and voiceless stops is
voice onset time, i.e., how long after release of the stop closure you
start vibrating your vocal folds: it's quicker in the case of voiced
stops. Thus what one writes or thinks of as a geminate d is no different
from a geminate t until a few milliseconds after the closure.

Ben