Abstract / Concrete

Mon Jul 1 18:58:29 UTC 2002

If "more concrete" means "more accessible to larger numbers of
people," then I we have certainly left the ordinary (and even
specialized) senses of the words rather far behind, although I note
some common use for "abstract" to mean "complex," or even "arcane."
If Tom meant this, I wish he had said so.

I take non strong position (as Rudy) did on the efficacy of an
IPA-like as opposed to standard orthographic representation for
dictionaries. I am sympathetic to the fact that since we do not have
this in our tradition, it makes it very difficult to introduce.

dInIs

PS: Yes, Tom, your reference to twins is idiosyncratic indeed.

--
Dennis R. Preston
Professor of Linguistics