Bergy Bits, Growlers, PIGs, I&I; Alaska Dictionary (1988)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Jul 1 21:07:05 UTC 2002

   Greetings from the Valdez Library (Alaska).

BERGY BITS, GROWLERS--Seen on a display at the Valdez Museum.  Broken off bits of icebergs.

BALEEN--The Museum says it's called "nature's plastic."

SLIMERS--People involed in seafood processesin, such as the "slime line."

PIGs--Pipeline Inspection Gauge.  There are smart pigs and scraper pigs.  It was written as "pigs" and not PIGs."  One tour guide here didn't know the acronym.

ROUTE, ROOF--The tour guide is from Michigan, and she came to Valdez in 1975.  "Route" she pronounced like the word "out," and "roof" she said like the word "rough."

AMAZING PIPELINE STORIES
by Dermot Cole
Fairbanks: Epicenter Press
1997

Pg. 118:  ...$1,100 a week for working "seven tens," seven days a week, ten hours a day on the Trans-Alaska Pipeline.

Pg. 124:  In some quarters, R&R was known as "I&I," meaning "Intoxication and Intercourse."

ALASKA DICTIONARY AND PRONUNCIATION GUIDE
by Jan O'Meara
155 pages, paperback
Homer, Alaska: Wizard Works

   A nice book.  I'm short of time on this computer.  Let me know if you want a copy at $11.95.

Pg. 3:  AG LAND  (Agricultural Land--ed.)

Pg. 5:  ALASKA TUXEDO--Slack and jacket ensemble of wool whipcord, somewhat resembling a heavy-duty leisure suit...

Pg. 5:  ALASKAN HIGH KICK...

Pg. 12:  ATHABASKAN... (OED?--ed.)

Pg. 13:  AVALANCHE CHUTE...

Pg. 15:  BANANA BELT...

Pg. 16:  BARN DOOR--Slang term for extremely large HALIBUT, generally larger than 200 pounds; sometimes also called a SOAKER.

Pg. 20:  BEAR PAWS--Rather stubby type of SNOWSHOE, rounded on both ends...

Gotta go!

1988