Route: spelling and pronunciation [and IPA vs. Orthographic respellings]

Wed Jul 3 01:26:09 UTC 2002

>Well, the long answer below, which admits that "cot" and "caught"
>are only rarely distinguished, speaks for itself. All civilized
>speakers make the distinction.

But seriously folks, these respelling matters are more than a little
worth attention. I devised a system in the 70's to let unphoneticized
speakers of American English approximate Polish pronunciations
(against my grain, of course, but I was encouraged to do it). Rudy's
point made earlier, which I have a great deal of sympathy for, was,
quite simply, that Americans are so badly educated linguistically
that I could not rely on an even minimal knowledge of a phonetic
alpahbet. (Even academics, in discourse analysis,for example, have
told me (and told others about me in print) that the "burden" on
ethnomethodologists to learn a phonetic alphabet [when they provide
unintelligible respellings!] would be too great). So, if we keep
making up bad systems (and the "annotations" surely show how really
awful they are), we have only ourselves to blame.

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston
Professor of Linguistics