"face the music" from "face the music of war"

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Wed Jul 3 14:31:40 UTC 2002

    I believe two parts of what James Landau writes can fit nicely together:

1) the MOA attestation of "face the music of war": "Battle of Buena
Vista," in _Southern Quarterly Review_, vol. 3, issue 5, 1851,
pp.146-189. Page 171 contains: "Before these dispositions were
completed, the Mexicans made their appearance--halted beyond the
range of our fire--perceived our resolution to face the music of
war--and prepared at once for the conflict."

2) facing the music of an advancing army (in an attack)--drums,
fifes, bagpipes, whatever.

    So "face the music (of war)" and "bite the bullet" (Civil War
soldier about to be operated on without anesthesia and given only a
soft-lead bullet to bite)
seem to be two expressions that spread beyond their original military
context to the more general one of: prepare to face or do something
very unpleasant.

Gerald Cohen