Grits: singular or plural?

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Wed Jul 3 15:11:55 UTC 2002

>Jim Landau writes:
>>  I sometimes wonder about the countability of "grounds," when I get one
>>  particle of ground coffee caught in a tooth!
>
>A sage hen like yourself could eliminate this question by going to a drip
>coffeemaker.
~~~~~~~
Ah, thus speaketh a man who takes his running h & c for granted.  Sagacity
in our case dictates  the much simpler method of putting boiling water and
ground coffee into a (glazed  porcelain) beaker, stirring and waiting for
the grounds to settle (chivvied along by a little judicious spoon work)
before dispensing into cups. Makes both better coffee and for much less
washing up.

>A pistol-packing gardener carries grounds rounds?<
He could be making his grounds rounds even without a pistol.

A. Murie