Postcard from R. Aman (editor, _Maledicta_)

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Thu Jul 4 16:53:50 UTC 2002

Reinhold Aman--editor of Maledicta--is certainly one of the most
interesting word-researchers of all time and (as he has clarified to
his readership) has come upon hard times the past five years or so.
    Yesterday I received a postcard he sent to his readers and other supporters,
and I now share it with the ads-l list. It appears right after my signoff. BTW,
I have no financial stake in _Maledicta_ and am sending this e-mail
solely in the spirit of hoping to help Reinhold's publication. He's
entirely correct when he says it's too valuable to let die.

Gerald Cohen

(postcard):
from: Dr. Reinhold Aman
MALEDICTA
P.O. Box 14123
Santa Rosa, CA 95402-6123

"Dear Friend, Reader, Maledicta-Fan:
        "This is my final attempt to keep _Maledicta_ alive.  To do
so, I need your help--help in the form of orders and financial
contributions, not just praise and encouragement, because moral
support won't pay for the immense expenses of printing and shipping
our unique publication.
        "After having emerged from four years of a life-sapping
clinical depression caused by various unpleasant (non-legal) events,
I'm now ready to publish our next volume (13) before December.  Yet
after four years of extremely low income ($2,500 - $4,000 a year), I
have no money left and thus appeal to your generosity to contribute
to the Maledicta Survival Fund. Everyone can afford to contribute $20
(or more) to get the next volume off the ground and to keep
_Maledicta_ alive.
        "Also check the lower prices of back issues and other
Maledicta press books at my Web page:
http://www.maledicta.ORG/pricelist_order.html
If you're not on the Net, please write for an Order Form (see address
on front).  My e-mail address is aman at maledicta.ORG
        "Please help this last time with a contribution MAL is too valuable and
unique, I'm told again and again, to let it die.  There's much
material ready to be published, but without your support I simply
don't have the means to print and ship another 160-page volume.
        "Checks and money orders are preferred; Visa and MasterCard
charges are welcomed.
        "Counting on your kind support to keep _Maledicta_ (and me
and my cats) alive.
                ---Reinhold (Rey) Aman, Editor and Publisher"