Skort; Buddha's Fingers; Jackhammer; Denali Rose; Sorbetini

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Jul 5 02:25:31 UTC 2002

SKORT

   From ALASKA AIRLINES magazine, July 2002, pg. 65, col. 2:

   Another hot-seller for female mountain bikers is the flattering "skort,"
which combines stretchy cycling shorts with a wraparound skirt.

   There are many hits for "skort," but I did not see it in trademark
records.  Google has it from 1992, with indicatings that it was used in
cycling in the 1960s.
   It's not in OED.

BUDDHA'S FINGERS

   Also in ALASKA AIRLINES magazine (I read it every month), July 2002,  Pg.
79, col. 1:

   Inside tranquil Beihai Park, Fangshan Restaurant (1 Wenjin Street,
011-86-10-6401-1879) serves imperial cuisine based on nearly 1,000-year-old
recipes.  Many of the old court favorites--bears' paw and tiger kidney among
them--are no longer available, though visitors can still enjoy everything
from turtle soup to Buddha's fingers (minced duck, pork and scallions wrapped
in thin pancakes) under Fangshan's golden-domed ceiling and latern-shaped
chandeliers.

(A Google search for "Buddha's fingers" turns up some interesting hits, but
not the pancakes--ed.)

JACKHAMMER

   Muffin Man Cafe, 817 West Sixth Avenue, Anchorage, also offers a BLTA.  I
checked Google, adding "tomato, lettuce" and such:

BLTA--89 hits
BALT--17 hits
BLTE--14 hits
BELT--573 hits

   So I guess it helps that "belt" is a word and "balt" is not.  Right above
BLTA under "classic sandwiches" is:

JACKHAMMER--HOUSE BAKED HAM AND MONTEREY JACK CHEESE ON SOURDOUGH WITH
LETTUCE, TOMATO, DIJON AND MAYO.

   "Jackhammer" makes a lot of sense, but I saw only a few "jackhammer" and
"jack hammer" hits on Google.  Sometimes these things require a
Jack-in-the-Box to promote a "Jackhammer" for it to take off.

DENALI ROSE

   The Glacier Brewhouse (www.glacierbrewhouse.com) is a popular Anchorage
spot where I had my last Alaskan meal.  The menu has these infused cocktails:

RUBY DROP 5.50--BrewHouse citrus infused vodka and housemade lemon & lime
sour.  Hand shaken, and sweetened with a sugared rim.

LAZY SU  5.25--A refreshing, shaken medley of kiwi, pineapple infused rum,
prach schnapps and lemonade.

DENALI ROSE  5.50--Cranberry, kiwi, and pineapple infused rum, shaken with
cranberry juice, housemade sweet & sour with a splash of Chambord.

SORBETINI

   The AMERICAN WAY (AMERICAN AIRLINES) magazine for July 1, 2002 includes a
specialty of Keefer's (20 W. Kinzie, Chicago).  It's SORBETINI--vodka and
sorbet freezes.  I didn't see it on Google, but it looks kewl in the
magazine.