Italian-Americanisms? or regionalisms?

Steve Boatti Ittaob at AOL.COM
Mon Jul 8 00:47:31 UTC 2002

All of these locutions are Italian-Americanisms common to immigrant
populations from southern Italy. My family came from Northern Italy, and we
and our compatriots did not use these sayings. The only one of these which
has a somewhat broader usage is "pie," which many I-As use for pizza. But
"gravy" for sauce is clearly a southern I-A-ism.

The pronunciations of "ricotta" and "manicotti" said by dropping the final
vowel is based on Neapolitan or other southern Italian dialects. Northern
Italian immigrants pronounce these words the "proper" Italian way.

Steve Boatti