Major Antedating of "Rock and Roll"

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Mon Jul 8 02:09:00 UTC 2002

        Fred Shapiro's spotting of "rock and roll" in the 1946
_Billboard_ article provides an interesting piece in the "rock and
roll" puzzle, but I
don't believe it necessarily demonstrates that "rock and roll" was
already designating a genre of music, as, say, "rhythm and blues" did.
        The first clue is the isolated nature of this "rock and roll"
attestation in direct reference to music. If it designated a genre of
music in 1946, at least an occasional attestation in this or the
following years might be expected to turn up.
        Also, "rock and roll" already existed in reference to
vigorous (sometimes pulsating) movement. Milton "Mezz" Mezzrow's 1946
autobiography _Really the Blues_ (p.107) tells: "Dave Tough...was the
only white drummer I ever heard outside of Ray Eisel, who had
mastered that South Side beat.  My mouth flew open wider than a
trapdoor and Dave, bobbing up and down like a piston, rocking and
rolling with a rhythm that wouldn't quit, grinned back at me."
        There is also a story plausibly bringing "rock 'em and roll
'em" back to 1927. I present it in my _Studies in Slang_, vol. 4,
1995, pp.68-69 (part of my article "Material For The Study of 'Rock
and Roll'," pp. 61-73). In a 1986 letter to me a lady named Jane