Bad words

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Tue Jul 9 19:00:48 UTC 2002

laurence.horn at YALE.EDU writes:

> "Manikin-Pis" is the spelling, and
>  it's Belgian.  The statue is in the middle of Brussels, which is a
>  mostly Flemish-speaking city.

Correction accepted.  (I don't dare say "I stand corrected")

Long ago, before the days of a computer in every pot and a chicken on every
desk, I decided to razz a male coworker by programming the office computer to
display a nude female whenever a certain option was selected, knowing he was
by far the most common user of that option.  Unfortunately the first person
to select that option was a female who hadn't used that option in weeks.
With malice aforethought she kept silent until the next team meeting and then
"casually" mentioned the "sexist software".  I satisfied her by offering to
program a display of the Manikin-Pis ("The Little Boy", she called it) if she
would provide me with a picture, but she never got around to it.

           - Jim Landau