Managersalat

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Tue Jul 9 19:16:59 UTC 2002

In a message dated 7/9/02 7:39:46 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Bapopik at AOL.COM
writes:

>  THE WASHINGTON POST is a public trust?  Is that why its ombudsman won't
even
> respond to me about a factual error that fails to recognize my work?

"Washington Post ombudsman" is an oxymoron.

I was in Washington DC when the Post decided as a public relations gimmick to
establish a position called "ombudsman".  The first incumbent---I have
mercifully forgotten his name---did absolutely nothing except every so often
to lambaste the Pentagon's chief spokesperson and occasionally to write an
article on the op-ed page defending the Post from criticisms.  Not once did
he ever admit the Post was at fault.

It appears from your description that the tradition continues.

By comparison there was a Post columnist whom I particularly disliked.  I
once wrote him a letter about the mistakes he had made in a certain column.
The man wrote me back a personal letter which, while wrongheaded, even I will
admit was respectful.

That is to say, the Post's own standards are far below those of one of its
most rabidly partisan mudslinging columnists.

You may quote me if you wish.

            - James A. Landau