Photos for sociolinguists

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Wed Jul 10 16:12:59 UTC 2002

        I'm skeptical of the theory that the Muncie Hawk Shop is a hock shop.  It seems much more likely to me that "hawk" is used here in the sense of peddling goods aggressively, a meaning that is unrelated to "hock" and, in my experience, now has little association with traveling peddlers.  I heard the term frequently in my childhood in southern Kentucky in the 1960s and 1970s but do not recall hearing it in Massachusetts or Maryland.

        I called the Muncie Hawk Shop, and they confirmed that they buy and sell goods and do not hock or pawn them.

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: Mai Kuha [mailto:mkuha at BSU.EDU]
Sent: Monday, July 08, 2002 10:36 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Photos for sociolinguists

It's nice that the "I'll buy almost anything" part of the sign is visible,
because it provides a clue that the establishment doesn't sell hawks or hawk
supplies, or have clientele consisting of hawks, but is actually a hock
shop, probably owned by someone who participates in the low vowel merge.

Thanks to everyone for the positive responses on- and off-list!

-Mai