Jewish Museum food

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Wed Jul 10 20:51:44 UTC 2002

--On Wednesday, July 10, 2002 12:17 PM -0700 "A. Maberry"
<maberry at U.WASHINGTON.EDU> wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, James A. Landau wrote:
>>
>> As I happen to know that a high-ranking Imperial German general during
>> World War I once used "Neapolitan ice" as a metaphor, I find it hard to
>> believe that the German language lacks a native term for "ice cream".
>
> Doesn't German "Eis" serve for both ice and ice-cream?
>
> allen
> maberry at u.washington.edu

Yes, but "Eiscreme" is also seen.  I don't remember hearing it used in
speech, but if I'm not mistaken, a brand whose little flags are all over
the place advertises its product as "Eiscreme."  The current mania of the
German language for borrowing foreign words, even where perfectly good
German words already exist, has lasted for decades now and rages on
undiminished.  True, most of the borrowings are from English, so Eiscreme
isn't such a clear-cut case, but the overall trend and the existence of
English "ice cream" probably favor it.

Peter Mc.

                               Peter A. McGraw
                   Linfield College   *   McMinnville, OR