hawk/hock

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Thu Jul 11 14:50:29 UTC 2002

        Then, in answer to your earlier question, yes, some people do think that "hawk" means to pawn, per RHHDAS.  However, I'm not aware of anybody who thinks that "hock" means to sell.

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: Dennis R. Preston [mailto:preston at PILOT.MSU.EDU]
Sent: Thursday, July 11, 2002 7:42 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: hawk/hock

Nope! No confusion here in phonology or lexicon. I have (at least)
"hawk" (v.) 1. to peddle aggressively, 2. to attend to or watch
carefully (as in "ball-hawk" in hoops), and 3. a sport using birds
(called "falconry" by the elite).

None of these are related to "hock," but it's easy to see how the
morally inadequate vowel conflaters among use might see a
relationship between the first verb "hawk" and "hock."

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston
Professor of Linguistics