hawk/hock

Fritz Juengling Friolly at AOL.COM
Thu Jul 11 23:45:10 UTC 2002

Anne G wrote:
>I haven't heard anybody(that
I> know of)who promounces "hawk" and "hock" the same way in my part of the
>country, but then, there are people who aren't "native Northwesterners" --
>e.g., they come here from every part of the country --

Perhaps this is an isogloss that separates Oregon from Washington (I would be
very surprised, though), because I pronounce 'hock' and 'hawk' with all their
meanings exactly the same and I cannot ever recall anyone distinguishing
them--that would have struck a chord right off.  Of course,  their must be
some old logger in the hills or
farmer in the southern part of the Willamette Valley who makes a difference.
I periodically poll my students on such matters and this one is almost 100%
in agreement with my usage--the few who do not are invariably webfoot
wannabes, but not natives.

>and we
>Northwesterners with webbed, moss-growing feet like to *think* we're
>"morally superior" to *them*.  :-)
>Anne G

What do mean *think*?!   :-)  There's just something cool about someone who
doesn't mind a little liquid sunshine.

Fritz Juengling