Austrian Gelateria & other Austrian food

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Jul 13 01:37:31 UTC 2002

   Greetings again from Vienna...A souvenir traffic sign declares "No kangaroos in Austria."
   There are TWO Jewish museums in town.  One is simply the excavation of a 15th-century synagogue.  The other concentrates on Leo Baeck interviews with modern Austrian Jews.  There was not much of anything in the kosher food department to report.  I asked to see any dreidels, and the guide didn't understand me.
   L'viv is the place I had to get to; my family comes from a town near there.  L'viv is centrally located between Warsaw, Vienna, and Kiev, BUT is VERY difficult to get to.  Maybe on another trip (Belarus).
   Thanks to Doug for that menu--it appears to be the one I looked at.  From another Hot Dog place:

HOT

   WURSTWAREN
KLOBASSE  2.40
WALDVIERTLER  2.80
DEBREZINER  2.50
FRANKFURTER  2.50
PUSTAWURST  2.30
BRATWURST  3.00
KASEKRONER  3.00
  HOT-DOG
HOT-DOG KLOBASSE  2.70
HOT-DOG WALDVIERTLER  3.00
HOT-DOG DEBREZINER  2.00
HOT-DOG FRANKFURTER  2.00
HOT-DOG PUSTAWURST  2.60
HOT-DOG BRATWURST  3.30
HOT-DOG KASEKRAMER  3.30

ANKER--This is a popular chain of bread shops.  See www.anker-brot.at for the full line of breads.

TORTEN--The following were offered at the Gerstner cafe in the Kunstmuseum:
TORTEN/CAKE/TORTE/TARTE
Dobos  2.90
Clara Wieck  2.90
Facher  2.90
Topfen  2.90
Gerstner  2.90
Linzer  2.90
Nuss  2.90
Obst  2.90
Sacher  2.90
Trufiel  2.90
Karl V  3.10
Haustate  3.00
Mohntorte  3.00
Himbeerschnitten  2.60

NIGHTFLYS CHAMPAGNER--The Nightfly night club has its menu of champagne drinks listed:
CHAMPAGNER DRINKS
Champagner cocktail
Ritz
Harry's Pick Me Up
French 75
Alfonso Cocktail
Kir Royal
Kir Imperial
IBU--CHampagner, Apricot Brandy, Brangensaft  9.50
Hemingway's "Death in the Afternoon"--Champagner, Absente
Happy New Year--CHampagner, Cognac, Port Ruby
Buffalo Bill--Champagner, Bourbon, Whiskey, Pfirsichlikor
Simply Comfort

GELATERIA
   The Gelateria has a nice take-away menu that I have here.  These are the flavors:

Ananas, Apfel, Bacio, Bacio Bianco, Banane, Caffe Bianco, Cassata, Cubana, Dulce de Leche, Erdbeer, Erdbeer Joghurt, Fiocco, Grapefruit, Haselnuss, Heidelbeer, Himbeer, Joghurt Natur, Kaffee, Kiwi, Koks, Mandel, Malaga, Mango, Manna, Maracuja, Maroni, Marille, Mascarpone, Melone, Oberskirsch, Orange, Panna Cotta, Pfirsich, Pistazien, Schokolade, Richard, Stracciatella, Tiramisu, Topfen, Torroncino, Vanille, Walnuss, Zitrone, Zuppa Inglese

   These specialities are made:

Eiskaffee, Eiskaffee Fest, Orange-Coup, Coppa Amarena, Martini Coup, Eierlikor Coup, Spaghetti Coup, Pfirsich Coup, Schoko Coup, Himbeer Coup, Jeisse Liebe, Fruchtbecher, Marsala Coup, Schwarzwalder Kirsch, Weinbrand Coup, Bananen Split, Frucht Joghurt Pokal, Erdbeer Coup, Coppa Garda, Coppa Maronita, Kiwi Coup, Eisschokolade, Iceberg Pokal, Hawaii Coup, Spiegelei, Diat Coup, Wald Coup, Topfen Coup, Heidelbeer Coup, Tropical Coup, Caramel Coup, Coppa Mascarpone, Coppa Bacio, Passions Coup, Baiser Coup, Coppa Cereali, Mozart coup, Sekt Coup, Mangia e bevi, Coppa Amaretto, After Eight, Coppa Golosa, Coppa Baba, Kinder-Portion, Eiskrapfen, Diabetikereis