Warchalking, WiBos, Warplugging, etc.

Steve Kl. stevekl at PANIX.COM
Tue Jul 16 17:53:55 UTC 2002

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002, Gareth Branwyn wrote:

> tones (for possible hacker entry). Wardialing, in turn, gets its name
> from the 1993 film "Wargames," which introduced the idea to legions of
> would be hacker teens.

1983, that would be.

I recently saw Wargames again, after about 18 years, and I was amazed
how,even now the world situation has changed with the fall of the Soviet
Union, my heart was still pounding, not so much from the movie, but from
my recollection of the early 80s and the certainity that I then felt that
the world was going to explode and wondering where I'd be when it happened
(a theme explored in Coupland's "Life After God").