apizza; pie

Steve Boatti Ittaob at AOL.COM
Wed Jul 17 02:23:10 UTC 2002

In a message dated 7/16/02 9:57:12 PM, laurence.horn at YALE.EDU writes:

<< But the real question I'd have, following Doug Wilson,
is whether it really makes sense to HAVE a definite article in the
name of pizza shops, as in "Pepe's Apizza", "Sally's Apizza", "Olde
World Apizza", and so on.   What you get elsewhere is not "X's La
Pizza" but "X's Pizza", with no article at all.  Similarly in French
you'd get "Jeanne's Crepes", not "Jeanne's les Crepes".  So it's not
the FORM but the PRESENCE of the article that I (and Doug) find
puzzling. >>

Obviously there was something unique about the Campanians who settled in New
Haven. What it was, I haven't the foggiest.

Steve Boatti