Sprezzatura

Catherine Aman caman at AMLAW.COM
Wed Jul 17 22:12:26 UTC 2002

Webster's Collegiate (9/e) doesn't include sprezzatura. It does, however,
include the lovely word sprachgefuhl, which it defines as a "sensibility to
conformity with (or divergence from) the established usage of a language
(or) a feeling for which is linguistically effective or appropriate."

It seems to me that you all possess a great deal of sprachgefuhl-many thanks
for your thoughtful  replies to my inquiry yesterday (re: new words and
usages arising in the wake of Sept 11). Much appreciated!

Catherine Aman
Staff reporter
Corporate Counsel &
  American Lawyer Magazine