hawk/hock

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Thu Jul 18 14:26:42 UTC 2002

James A. Landau said:
>In a message dated 7/17/02 4:37:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>flanigan at OHIOU.EDU writes:
>
>>  > > I've never come across a hoarse horse.
>>   >
>>   >Of course not.  That would be a horse of a different collar.
>>

>>   Perfect--especially since in my area (SE Ohio) "color" is pronounced like
>>   either "collar" (with /a/) or "caller" (with the almost-/O/ of British
>'lot')
>
>I find that odd, because I was born and raised in Louisville KY and have
>never noticed anyone making homophones out of "color", "collar", and
>"caller".  My play on words would work as well verbally as in writing, (for
>me, at least).
>
>color: short 'u" in the first syllable, rhymes with "cull 'er" or "hull 'er"
>collar: /ah/ as in "father". rhymes with "holler" or the first two syllables
>of "tolerance"
>caller: /aw/ as in "arm", rhymes with "taller"
>
>MWCD10 agrees with me, so I guess you'd better have your landspeople start
>sending their resumes to Merriam-Webster's phonetics department in time to
>influence the 11th Collegiate.

I'm in the unusual and--as far as I know--not geographically
restricted minority for whom "color" and "cull 'er" are the only
minimal pair (or even near minimal pair) for the PUT and PUTT vowels
before /l/; for me, HULL, CULL, PULL, and FULL all have the same
vowel sound.

Alice
Alice Faber                                             faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                                  tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                                     fax (203) 865-8963