Matrushka; Hryvna

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Jul 18 14:50:15 UTC 2002

   Greetings from Kiev.  Lenin must be working this internet connection.  It's just that fast.

MATRUSHKA--little eggs, finely decorated.  Sold at every tourist shop here.  Tons of Google hits, but I didn't see it in the revised OED.  Is that correct?

HRYVNA--the currency unit.  Again, not in OED, although "dollar" and "pound" and "peso" are.

LAYING POLICEMAN--a speed bump.  Said by my tour guide, when asked if the bumps in the road have a slang name.

RED UNIVERSITY--founded in 1834 and painted red.  No connection with "red"="communist," although this has been in tourist books.  At least I was told there's no connection.