hawk/hock

Catherine Aman caman at AMLAW.COM
Thu Jul 18 15:50:40 UTC 2002

Me too; I born & raised in Penna.

My grandmother had an accent that seems to be gone forever. I've forgotten
many of her distinctive phrasings, but do remember that she pronounced
"world" as "whirled" and "larch" (the tree) as "lahch" (and, strangely, used
the word "cunning" to describe something cute or pretty.)  She was born and
raised in Salem, Mass. Anyone ever come across a young person who speaks
this way?