Matrushka; Hryvna

Steve Kl. stevekl at PANIX.COM
Thu Jul 18 17:20:58 UTC 2002

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002 Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

> HRYVNA--the currency unit.  Again, not in OED, although "dollar" and
> "pound" and "peso" are.

Well, the currency is a post-USSR-breakup term, after all.

FYI, regarding the spelling:

Listed in the MRI Bankers' Guide to Foreign Currency and the CIA Factbook
as "hryvnia", which would follow the standard Ukrainian Cyrillic to Roman
transliteration.

(The Ukrainan and Belarusian respellings of practically every city and
town made for a lot of fun, let me tell you, in Referenceland. I actually
bought a map of Ukraine written in Ukrainian as an aid.)

-- Steve