Kregg vs. Craig

Herbert Stahlke hstahlke at WORLDNET.ATT.NET
Sat Jul 20 02:11:26 UTC 2002

If it weren't for "vegg", "Hegg & Hegg", and "plegg", I might buy that it's
lexical.  Rather, I think this is a relatively rare sequence--only "vague"
is fairly frequent, so it could just as well be an elimination of a not very
productive contrast.  Note that there are no lax vowel words in English that
form minimal pairs with these, so laxing them causes no problems.

Herb Stahlke

> on 7/19/02 5:37 PM, Gordon, Matthew J. at GordonMJ at MISSOURI.EDU wrote:
>
> > I think this one might be lexical. I'm pretty sure I have a lax vowel in
Craig
> > but definitely tense in 'vague' and 'Hague'.  Maybe Craig is influenced
by
> > Greg. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)
>
> Maybe the spelling reflects earlier forms that are relevant here.  Would
any
> vowel except a "long o" sound right in vogue or rogue or a "long u" in
> fugue?  The -logue words seem not to have the "long o," perhaps because of
> some influence from the preceding syllables that I don't wanna figure out
> right now.  In a sense, it is a "lexical" matter.
>
> DMLance

Indiana,
Hague.