Kregg vs. Craig

Sat Jul 20 12:58:12 UTC 2002

What makes me think /E/-/e/ conflation  is related to /I/-/i/
conflation (and /u/-/U/ as well), at least before /l/, is the fact
that, at least in our tapes of people from such areas, those who have
"filled" for "field" also have "felled" for "failed" and "pull" for
"pool." Looks pretty staightforward to us. Geography is a problem
since we have tapes of speakers with these conflations from a wide
area, particularly African American speakers from all over the
country.

If this conflation follows from the same conflation before /r/, as I
suspect it does quite naturally, then one would not expect it to
appear in areas where distinctions before /r/ are robust (as in NYC
"Mary"-"merry", as larry so vehemently pointed out).

dInIs

PS: Of course, I know "marry" is also distinct, but since /ae/
apparently has both tense and lax versions inn NYC (hence the complex
/ae/-raising rule), it doesn't really play a role in this "simple"
tense-lax discussion.

--
Dennis R. Preston
Professor of Linguistics