ADS-L Digest - 19 Jul 2002 to 20 Jul 2002 (#2002-176)

Dan Goodman dsgood at VISI.COM
Sun Jul 21 05:25:08 UTC 2002

Date sent:              Sun, 21 Jul 2002 00:00:11 -0400
Send reply to:          American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:                   Automatic digest processor
<LISTSERV at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject:                ADS-L Digest - 19 Jul 2002 to 20 Jul 2002 (#2002-
176)
To:                     Recipients of ADS-L digests <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>

> Date:    Sat, 20 Jul 2002 00:58:11 EDT
> From:    Fritz Juengling <Friolly at AOL.COM>
> Subject: Re: Kregg vs. Craig
>
> In a message dated 7/19/02 3:37:45 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
> GordonMJ at MISSOURI.EDU writes:
>
> > I think this one might be lexical. I'm pretty sure I have a lax
> > vowel in Craig but definitely tense in 'vague' and 'Hague'.  Maybe
> > Craig is influenced by Greg. (Not that there's anything wrong with
> > that.)
>
> When I was in grad school, I had two buddies named Greg, one from
> Indiana and the other from Utah. Our prof was speaking to the Hoosier
> one day and called him grEg which he corrected to Grayg, i.e. [gre:g].
> The other Greg agreed with that pronunciation. Both seemed a little
> put off with 'grEg.'  I have always rhymed Greg, leg, egg, beg with
> Craig--with [e:] or even [ei], definitely not [E].

For me, egg and leg don't rhyme with Greg and beg; they do rhyme with
Haig.  (I'm from Ulster County NY, in the Hudson Valley Dialect area.
Rod Serling -- born in Broome County, which adjoins  Ulster County --
has no accent to my ear.  So I can truthfully say that my dialect is
on the original Twilight Zone.)