Kregg vs. Craig

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Sun Jul 21 23:55:39 UTC 2002

On Sat, 20 Jul 2002, Laurence Horn wrote:

#>Does the pronunciation of /bury/ fit into one of these divisions? I've
#>always pronounced it the same as /berry/, but one of my kids says "burry"
#>--like /furry/--which I thought she *might* have picked up during the year
#>she spent at school in England at age 12, though I don't remember hearing
#>that pronunciation there, myself.  One of the NPR news readers (Norah
#>Rahm?) also uses this pronunciation.  It always sounds odd to me.
#>A. Murie
#
#How about good ol'-fashioned spelling pronuciation as an explanation
#for this one?  "bury" doesn't LOOK as though it should be a homonym
#of "berry".

Is that "furry"*
        with rhotic schwa (or rhotic turned-epsilon)
 or
        with /^/ (wedge)?

I have the latter vowel in "hurry", the former in "furry".

* none of those should be in slashes, since they're plainly not phonemic
representations

-- Mark A. Mandel