Picnic

Mon Jul 22 12:18:15 UTC 2002

An excellent point. Some etymologists appear to believe that the
science is limited to "ultimates." I wonder why they ever mess with
Germanic and Latin-Greek bsses when they could just run up the
reconstructed PIE morphs. But that would not lead us down the often
exciting trails of words, ones which include numerous folk
etymologies being responsible for the current "meaning" (or even
shape) of a word.

More sociolinguistically appropriate, of course, is the fact that not
all words have meant the same thing to all groups, a pretty common
lexicographical fact, I would think, since we have dictionaries based
on all sorts of group memberships and since leakage of those meanings
to out-groups is common - African-American to the wider speech
community being just one very good example.

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston
Professor of Linguistics