"I loves me some X" redux

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Tue Jul 23 02:27:34 UTC 2002

On a bulletin board I subscribe to, a woman in her 30s posted
the following, in reference to children's books:

  it must be so cool when your kids reach an age where you can read and
  enjoy some of the same books. not that i don't loves me some _very hungry
  caterpiller,_ mind you, but y'know what i mean.

[_The Very Hungry Caterpiller_ is a classic young-children's book.]

I told her I had heard it a few times recently, and asked her if it
has any special associations or origins that she knew of; she replied:

  the first time i heard someone use that expression was back when i was in
  high school, visiting my uncle in georgia. i assumed it was a southern
  thing; a lower class southern thing, specifically. i've heard it a bunch
  since then, mostly being said by southerners, but also by non-southerners
  and/or more educated people who were using it ironically.

Just a data point.

Jesse Sheidlower