catercorner

Donald M Lance lancedm at MISSOURI.EDU
Tue Jul 23 14:33:24 UTC 2002

DARE has a full column on this term.  Lots of variants with some regional
distributions.

AHD3's etymology has 'cater' as the original form, a Middle English form
based on the French 'catre' referring to the diagonal of four corners.

Building that are kitty-corner (the form I use) from each other are across
the intersection rather than across the street from each other.  I've heard
people use the term to refer to buildings that are across and a little way
down a street from each other, so that a jaywalker would have to take a
diagonal path to cross from one to the other.

DMLance