good (adv.)

Mai Kuha mkuha at BSU.EDU
Fri Jul 26 22:20:22 UTC 2002

On 7/26/02 1:00 PM, Lynne Murphy wrote:

> (...) The sentiment that
> 'any change away from prescriptive ideals is progress/good/praise-worthy'
> is a frequent one. (...)

I'll have to think some more about all these good points that have been
made. Just to clarify briefly, my intention was just to signal that I wasn't
sending the item in as a tsk-tsk. Surprising mixtures of elements from
different categories are often funny, so I enjoyed the sentence in the diss
abstract (even if the author may well be a non-native speaker of English) in
the same way as I enjoy that great dedication, "To whom it may concern", in
the book "Conversational Routine", edited by Florian Coulmas.

(A non-native speaker of English? Bingo! We've found the person guilty of
spreading computer viruses and sending objectionable graphics!)

-Mai