O'Kun

David Bergdahl einstein at FROGNET.NET
Sat Jul 27 01:54:38 UTC 2002

I've also heard that shipping clerks overseas were the ones writing out the
tickets w/the name changes.  I discovered the origin of my Swedish last name
in H. L. Mencken who reports that when Scandanavians got last names in the
early years of the 19th-century there were too many Johnsons, Andersons,
Thomsons &c. based on the patronymic naming convention, so the Swedish
equivalent of the Namenamt decided that people should use familar
geographical terms--Berg, Kvist, Lund, Stro/m, Dahl, &c.--which is how we
got to be "mt-valley" people.