Technical Passport; How to Speak Alaskan

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Jul 27 10:44:08 UTC 2002

MISC

    Yes, the Friday, July 26th IHT story was also by Matthew Mirapaul of the
New York Times.
    I didn't sit next to the wife & kids on this Lufthansa flight, but I did
sit next to a woman from Spain who looks like Penelope Cruz.  The only
downside to a date this weekend is that I have to clean up this apartment.
    Around Yalta, there were many food sellers by the side of the road.
Think of apple road stands in upsate NY, and multiply by five.  I asked the
"no slang in Ukraine" kid about it, and he said it was the same thing as
Georgia--the nuts and grape juice thing on a string.  But I saw that it was
different.  We drove to the airport.  We passed one, two, three...thirty of
these things.  The "seagull in Yalta" tour guide, who knew very well that I
was interested in Ukraine food, said NOTHING.  Oh, what the hell, I'll ask.
"WHAT ARE THESE?"  "Sweet onion," she said.  It was not the same as Georgia!
I waited for the next line: Do you want to stop and see it?  Amazingly, with
two Ukraine tour guides, that was never offered.  I tipped the kid well and
told him to e-mail me library info on the oldest Ukraine cookbooks, but don't
hold your breath.
   Mongolian passport photos I need now...I just realized that this conflicts
with the NYU Presidential Installation dinner date Allan Metcalf gave me for
September 26th.  Write to Allan if you're interested.

TECHNICAL PASSPORT

   Not in OED.  Several web hits.  There was a sign about "technical
passport" for your vehicle at Kiev's airport.  It's a license to drive that
vehicle.

HOW TO SPEAK ALASKAN

   This was sent on June 16th (before my Alaska trip), but I see that it's in
my mail now (July 26).

HOW TO SPEAK ALASKAN
edited by Mike Doogan
Fairbanks: Epicenter Press
64 pages, paperback, $4.95
1993

Pg. 5:  Alaska; Alaskan Permanent Fund; Alaska Permanent Fund Dividend.
Pg. 6:  Alaska tuxedo; Alaskan; Alaskans; Alcan; Aleut.
Pg. 7:  Anchorage; ANWR.
Pg. 8:  Arctic Entry; Artic haze.
Pg. 9:  Athabaskan; Aurora Borealis; Babiche.
Pg. 10:  Baleen; Banya; Barrow.
Pg. 11:  Bear paws; Beaver fever; Bethel.
Pg. 12:  Bidarka; Billiken; Black ice; Blanket toss.
Pg. 13:  Blazo; Blazo box.
Pg. 14:  Blue ticket; Bloomer; Bootle.
Pg. 15:  Bottom fishing; Borough; Breakup.
Pg. 16:  Breakup boots; Bug dope; Bunny boots; The Bush.
Pg. 17:  Bush pilot; Cabbage; Cabin.
Pg. 18:  Cabin fever; Cache.
Pg. 19:  Camp robber; Carry-on.
Pg. 20:  The Chain; Cheechako; Chinook; Cicely.
Pg. 21:  Cleanup; Cold; Cold snap.
Pg. 22:  Combat fishing; Corking.
Pg. 23:  Dip netting; Dog musher; Dog mushing; Dog lot.
Pg. 24:  Dog team; Dutch.
Pg. 25:  Duct tape; Ear pull.
Pg. 26:  Eskimo ice cream; Eskimo yo-yo; Eyak.
Pg. 27:  Fairbanks; Feds.
Pg. 28:  Fireweed; Fish camp; Fish trap.
Pg. 29:  Fish wheel; Forget-me-not; Four wheeler.
Pg. 30:  Freeze-up; Galloping glacier; Gangline; Glacier.
Pg. 31:  Glacier bear; Greenie; Gum boot.
Pg. 32:  Gussuk; Gwichin; Haida; Halibut.
Pg. 33:  Hanging glacier; Head-bolt heater; Hickel Highway.
Pg. 34:  Honey bucket; Honey bucket wagon; Hoochino.
Pg. 35:  Hooligan; Ice bridge; Ice cellar; Ice fog.
Pg. 36:  Ice pool; Iceworm.
Pg. 37:  Iditarod; Inside Passage; Inupiat.
Pg. 38:  Jueneau; Kashim.
Pg. 39:  Kenai; Kenai River; Ketchikan.
Pg. 40:  Knuckle hop; Kodiak; Kotzebue.
Pg. 41:  Kuspuk; Lead dog; Ling cod.
Pg. 42:  The Lower 48; Midnight sun; Moose dropping.
Pg. 43:  Moose gooser; Mosquito; Mount McKinley.
Pg. 44:  Mukluks; Mukluk telegraph; Muktuk.
Pg. 45:  Muskeg; Native; Nome.
Pg. 46:  North Slope; No-See-Ums; Oosik; Outside.
Pg. 47:  Outsiders; Overflow; The Panhandle; Paniqtaq.
Pg. 48:  Permafrost; Pilot bread--Big, round crackers that keep well, which
makes them a staple in the Bush; The Pipeline.
Pg. 49:  Poke; Poochki; Potlatch; Prince William Sound; Prudhoe Bay.
Pg. 50:  Qiviut; Quaq; Railbelt; RATNET.
Pg. 51:  Ratting; Seal hook; Seward; Sheefish.
Pg. 52:  Sitka; Skookum; Slavic.
Pg. 53:  Sled dog racing; Sluice box.
Pg. 54:  Snagging; Sourdough; Sourdough hotcakes.
Pg. 55:  Spenard divorce; Squaw candy--A term for dried strips of salmon that
was heard more often in the past than in the politically correct present.;
Starring; Stateside.
Pg. 56:  Stink heads; Subsistence; Summer; Sundog.
Pg. 57:  Taku; Three seasons--Alaska only has three: winter, breakup and road
construction.; Tlingit.
Pg. 58:  Trail shoe; Tsimshian; Tundra; Ugruk.
Pg. 59:  Ulu; Umiak; Village; Wanigan.
Pg. 60:  White knuckles; Williwaw; Wind chill.
Pg. 61:  Yukon stove; The Yukon Quest.